It is with sadness that the Archdiocese of Cardiff announces the death of Fr. John Meredith on 26th December 2013 at the Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend.
He was sixty three years old, and had been priest for twenty five years.
John Paul Meredith was born on 6 April 1950 in Bridgend. He was educated at Cynffig Comprehensive School and went on to further education at Swansea College where he obtained an HND in Business Studies and became a graduate of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply. He put this expertise to good use in his fourteen year career as a Buyer for British Steel.
An Anglican by upbringing, he was received into Full Communion with the Catholic Church in 1982. Two years later he was accepted for the Diocese as a candidate for the priesthood and undertook his studies at St. Kieran’s College Kilkenny. He was ordained to the priesthood by Archbishop John Aloysius Ward on 21 June 1988.
He served in a number of parishes: St. Helen’s Barry, St. Dyfrig’s Treforest, St Mary’s Bridgend. He was Catholic chaplain at the University of Cardiff from 1994-1998, followed by ten years a parish priest at Cwmbran. In 2009 he moved to Our Lady and St. Patrick, Maesteg. Having obtained a Master of Arts in Theology at Lampeter, he served as Diocesan Master of Ceremonies, a member of the Diocesan Liturgy Commission and Diocesan representative on the Historic Churches Committee. He also served as Dean of North Gwent for ten years.
Diagnosed with cancer just six weeks ago, John intended to carry on as normal for as long as possible. He accepted his illness with resignation and faith. Although increasingly fragile, he managed to celebrate two Masses for Christmas for his parishioners at Maesteg. This was typical of his humble, selfless commitment to his ministry. May he rest in peace.